When you work with an adoption agency, you’re not just working with an agency. You’re working with people.
It’s good to know who those people are and what they’re like. When placing your baby for adoption, facing an unplanned pregnancy or looking to adopt, Destiny team members are real people with experience and enormous hearts. Get to know Lisa, founder and executive director, who had a vision called Destiny Adoption.
- Where did you grow up and what did you like about it?
- I grew up in a small town in Tennessee. I love the small town feel and community and the closeness that comes with that. Of course, the seasons and mountains made it pretty much close to perfect too.
- Cat or dog?
- Definitely dogs! We have two, and they cause so much laughter and joy in our home. I can’t imagine life without dogs!
- What’s your favorite flavor of ice cream?
- Strawberry Cheesecake. Ice cream with cheesecake? WIN!
- Why adoption? Why do you dedicate yourself to it?
- My parents were foster parents who adopted two children from the foster system so my heart got involved then.
There is a twofold reason for my dedication. First, I want to help children get adopted and never have to experience some of the negatives that come with the foster system. Secondly, I love, love, love working with birth moms.
Helping them make that plan for their baby, making sure they feel empowered and then helping a birth mom get hope back for her future — dream again or for the first time — and see her soar.
- What’s your favorite adoption experience?
- I don’t really have just one, but I can tell you that successfully bringing together a birth mom and adoptive family and watching that relationship bloom is huge.
Whether a birth mom chooses an open, semi-open or closed adoption, watching her find that peace because she has been heard and honored is truly priceless every single time!
- If you were in charge of the world, what’s one thing you’d do to make it a better place?
- Christmas is my favorite holiday and not because of the gifts — although I don’t hate that. It’s my favorite because people are kinder and lights are twinkling, the world looks prettier and kids are good because of the elf on the shelf. So what better way to impact the world than to mandate Christmas cheer all year!
Learn more about Lisa and the Destiny team.
Author: Destiny Adoption Services
Destiny Adoption Services is proud to support and guide birth parents and adoptive families on the journey of adoption. We’re a state licensed nonprofit adoption agency with four decades of adoption experience, and our professional team of experts includes moms, adoptive moms and birth mothers who provide compassion combined with trusted resources and skills.