Destiny welcomes new team member Drema Slaughter!
Destiny is a family, and we are proud to welcome a new member. Drema Slaughter joins us as the office manager of our Tennessee adoption agency location.
Throughout her life she has worked with children and raised four children — two being adopted as teenagers. She has worked with children through choir, church and as a foster parent for ten years. Also, for more than two decades, she and her husband, Don, worked with Florida Baptist Children’s Home and served as house parents.
Join us in getting to know Drema in this month’s staff spotlight!
- What do you like to do in your free time?
- In my free time, I spend with my husband, children and grandchildren; read or watch movies; camping; gardening or just relaxing.
- Are you an indoors or outdoors person?
- I am most definitely an indoors person, especially when in Florida in the hot weather, but do enjoy the outdoors in Tennessee in the cooler weather.
- What are your favorite movies?
- My favorites are romantic and family movies and some mysteries too.
- Are you a morning person or a night owl?
- I hate getting up early in the morning! But I love staying up late at night and sleeping in late in the am.
- Why adoption? Why do you dedicate yourself to it?
- My husband and I adopted two teenagers many years ago while serving in Tennessee as foster parents, so adoption has always been close to my heart. With much experience in working with abused and neglected children, it has always been such a blessing when any of our children were adopted and found their forever family.
- What’s your favorite adoption experience?
- We recently worked with a young man who had many behavioral difficulties. As soon as his forever family was found and he was able to start visits with this family and his two younger siblings, you could see his behavioral issues starting to resolve. We all fell in love with the adoptive family, and we feel that God definitely hand-picked this couple for our wonderful young man and his two siblings.
- If you were in charge of the world, what’s one thing you’d do to make it a better place?
- If we could be proactive with the families that are struggling to help them have improved parenting skills, steady employment, involvement with a church family and community support, I believe the world would definitely be a better place.
Author: Destiny Adoption Services
Destiny Adoption Services is proud to support and guide birth parents and adoptive families on the journey of adoption. We’re a state licensed nonprofit adoption agency with four decades of adoption experience, and our professional team of experts includes moms, adoptive moms and birth mothers who provide compassion combined with trusted resources and skills.