If you happen to be in a situation where you are homeless and pregnant, it is entirely understandable that you are feeling overwhelmed. While an unexpected pregnancy is stressful for any woman, the lack of a stable place to live can add to that stress. Just like anyone else, however, a homeless pregnant woman has three unplanned pregnancy options. She can choose to terminate the pregnancy, parent her child, or place her child for adoption.
Unfortunately, in some cases, these options may be less available when you are homeless and pregnant. That is why it is important to learn about your unplanned pregnancy options before making a decision.
In the case that you choose adoption, we have adoption counselors on hand to help. Facing homelessness while being pregnant can be frightening, but you do not have to go through it alone. Here at Destiny Adoption, we provide counseling throughout the adoption process and after placement. Additionally, financial support for prospective birth mothers is available to help you find stable living conditions. Let’s examine your three options.
Are you ready to become a parent? This is the first question women typically ask themselves upon discovering a pregnancy, whether she is homeless or living in a palace. Here are some questions we recommend asking yourself to determine if you are prepared to parent:
- Do you want to be a mother?
- Can you provide the kind of life you want for your child at this point in your life?
- Would the child’s father be involved in his or her upbringing? If not, do you have a support system that will be dependable for you and your child?
- Can you financially provide for a baby? On average, it costs around $233,610 to raise a child up until the age of 18, which can be an intimidating figure to anyone.
If you feel that you want to parent your child, nobody can tell you differently. If that is the case, you might want to begin looking for homeless shelters for expectant women and new mothers in Tennessee. If you aren’t sure if you are ready to be a parent, there are two remaining options for homeless pregnant women.
If you feel that you are not ready to be a parent at this point in your life, two additional options remain. One of those options is termination. Abortion laws vary in each state, and in some cases, you may be required to:
- Endure a mandatory waiting period between your first consultation with a doctor and having the procedure.
- Obtain parental permission if you are under 18 and pregnant.
- Get an abortion “before viability.” The law in most states prevents you from having a “late-term abortion,” or one that occurs in the latter half of the second trimester or beyond. These laws are becoming stricter in some states.
It’s important to do plenty of research if you are considering terminating your pregnancy. Abortion is a highly stigmatized topic, so it is recommended to stick to websites such as Planned Parenthood and other reputable sources to gather the facts.
Your final unplanned pregnancy option is adoption. Oftentimes, this option is overlooked, but it can be an incredible choice for both you and your child. Below are a few advantages of choosing adoption as a pregnant homeless woman:
- Adoption is provided entirely free for you.
- By choosing to have an open adoption, you can still have a lifelong relationship with your child as well as his or her adoptive parent.
- Adoption gives you the comfort that your child is being raised in a stable and safe environment with parents who have been waiting for him or her.
- Many adoption agencies can provide a safe place for you to stay during your pregnancy. In some situations, you may be able to receive financial aid for your living expenses. For example, groceries, utilities, transportation to and from doctor’s appointments, rent, health insurance, maternity clothes and more may be provided.
Our adoption specialists and social workers are available to help in the event of an unplanned pregnancy. You are never obligated to choose adoption by contacting us. Call us for assistance at 865-392-6261.
Author: Destiny Adoption Services
Destiny Adoption Services is proud to support and guide birth parents and adoptive families on the journey of adoption. We’re a state licensed nonprofit adoption agency with four decades of adoption experience, and our professional team of experts includes moms, adoptive moms and birth mothers who provide compassion combined with trusted resources and skills.